With more than 80% of time on mobile spent in apps it’s more important than ever to create delightful and engaging experiences for consumers while simultaneously delivering for the advertiser. But with advertisers constantly seeking new ways to interact with potential customers, striking a balance between consumer and developer preferences is a very delicate process.
Vungle’s very own CEO, Zain Jaffer, has some awesome tips to help you build a killer mobile advertising experience. Read Zain’s tips below and be sure to come see him speak next Tuesday, April 15th at VentureBeat’s Mobile Summit, in Sausalito!
1. Keep it short. Shorter ads (15 seconds or less) do better than 30+ seconds. The average session time in many apps is less than three minutes. Users don’t want to spend a large proportion of that time in an ad.
2. Give users control. Partner with an ad-serving provider who makes sound optional and permits skippable ads. Be good to your target customers.
3. Pay attention to the user experience! Use the right partner to make sure your ad runs at a natural pause in the user experience. For instance, when someone is playing a game and loses a life, or between songs on a jukebox app. This way, you avoid interrupting users.
4. Mix up the format. A mix of video and full-page display ads strike the best balance for users and advertisers. Videos deliver the highest eCPM. They give advertisers the chance to truly connect with consumers, and give viewers the best understanding of the product being advertised, whether it’s a game, movie or even consumer good. Full-page display ads monetize fairly well as they can be shown at natural break points within an app, and monetize nearly 100% of an app’s user base.
5. Stay away from banners! Banner ads are seen as bothersome and offer a poor UX due to banner blindness and fat-finger clicking. According to eMarketer, almost 40 percent of clicks on mobile banner ads are accidental.